Monday, August 6, 2007

Sacred Whispers

Fate. Not only is it my name, it is what depicts me.

I am a slave, a woman bound by collar, one that has always hovered on the fringe of slavedom, even when I was free. My destiny had never been a secret, a path set long ago, before my birth.

My life has yet been uneventful, my slavery an easy one. I am allowed many amenities and privileges, I am not ill treated and I love the man that owns me, and though he cares for me, I do not believe such is returned.

I am allowed to sleep on my Master’s couch, though mostly my company consists of only books, those that are scattered comfortingly about me like precious friends.

I am quiet and I keep mostly to myself, the saved coppers from my readings mine to do with as I wish, though I do not spend them. They are kept in a small jar atop the nightstand in Silas’s room.

The man who owns me is full of secrets, as is the House in which we live. There is a hunger in his eyes when he looks at me, but it is not the use of flesh he covets. It’s something more, something darker, a desire that neither of us has come to terms with. Not that it matters, I trust him completely.

He is the Ubar.

And then there is the other, the exact opposite of what I know, what I understand. So like the man that owns me, but not. This man I do not love, in fact he terrifies me, but somewhere within the transparent puppet’s string that links all mortals together there is a common bond. One perhaps I do not wish to know.

He is Ruin.

No comments: