It is said we all live three lives at once.The first life is that of the past, lived through the fragile interpretation of memories. The second, our present, which is lived through actions, or in my case, evasive actions, and the third life is perceived by thoughts, hopes, wishes and dreams, desires which I’m seldom lacking in. It is the combination of all these things that helps us through the darker periods of our lives.
I am free, by the hand of someone I would have never thought, which is testament that we really never know someone simply by the perceptions we have of them. I am grateful to her and perhaps someday I can truly repay her for her bravery, if I ever see her again.
Charm has gone to the island to visit my mother, who had been writing me ceaselessly asking that she be allowed to come. Given what has happened of late, I could think of no better way to keep her safe.
Of late, I have found myself at the building that Chance had purchased, one that was once mine. It’s nothing save an empty, grassy lot now, the debris from the fire having been cleared. Twice I’ve inquired to buy it, but no one seems to know where he has gone, though on my last sojourn into the narrow alley I caught sight of a small sign on the building next. It’s mine now, another venture that I wasted no time in purchasing.
It’s bigger, three stories instead of two and it has a large balcony on the third floor. It needs work, but at least I don’t believe it will take too much coin to make it livable, which is a good thing.
Again I find myself the proud owner of property. I’ve always liked the feeling of having something that was completely mine, something that no one else could take away. I suppose it’s the stability that I crave, the need to be protected and safe, even if it is only by four walls and a ceiling. I’m learning. Slowly, but I am learning.
Some times life doesn’t put us where we’d hoped, but it always seems to put us exactly where we need to be.
Yes, safe. That’s where I need to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment