I did not sleep well through the night, even as Aiden snored beside me. I stared at the ceiling for a time before I decided to get up, dress and go downstairs to read. I had just settled in my cozy nest of furs and pillows, with a glass of juice, a pastry and book I have been meaning to read when Castor came through the front door, followed by chaos. I could hear him barking out his commands. "Someone find Astraea now. Get this mess cleaned up and kill the wounded."
What I saw was Castor and the men that followed him, ragged and bloody as they filled the inn. I immediately inspected him for signs of wounds, or damage of any sort.
He grabbed me and pulled me into an empty room and slammed the door behind us. "I need your eyes." His fingers curled around my wrists, bringing my hand to set against his chest.
"One and the same, he continues to plot against you. Many hold with his righteous belief, he still arranging his kaissa pieces in the board. He's toying with you, adding to the psychological aspect of your paranoia. He has yet to make the move that will forever change you." I feel into silence, then pulled my hands away, my bewilderment apparent. "It was not Helix, though if given the opportunity, he might turn away from you. As for me, you should know better. Do you really think I would ever betray you?"
He walked away from me and fixed himself a drink. "Is this person a member of the resistance or is this just another weaker enemy?"
"I do not know if he is of the resistance. That I cannot see, but he is not weak. Do not underestimate him." My hands were moving up and down my arms, trying to quell the goose bumps from the visions I hadn't detailed. Death, fear, blood and the metallic clash of swords. . It was every where, the sights, sounds and smells still toying with my senses. But it was the fact that he had thought I would betray him that chilled me the most.
"There is something I need you to do my dear. "He’d stepped closer to me now, running his fingers through my hair. "Send a note to the Anbar district.. a Lady by the Name of Medea. Tell her that we would like to meet with her."
"Very well, I will see that it is sent today. Should I give her a reason for this meeting?" My head tipped up to look at him, his hands an odd comfort in the waterfalling locks of my hair. "And would you like a set time, or just as soon as can be arranged?"
"As soon as this can be arrange. I want you to read her cards. For now on when I have you speak to someone.. when I do business with a person I want you to read the cards for them."
"As you wish." A single nod accompanied my words before I stepped inward, intruding on his space, my cheek pressed to his chest, as well as the palm of my hand. "I worry for you, Castor. Something is coming, I can feel it and it's not going to be good."
"Do not worry for me.. My death is inevitable. You will serve Helix as you do me.. When I go, the boy will need you.."
But that wasn't something I wanted to think about now. In fact, that was something I never wanted to think about, inevitable or not. "I will see you soon then. Call me if you need me." I turned to go, thinking I had been dismissed.
"Wait. Meet me .. tonight.. There is a house in the Garden District beyond the street marked with the number 13." He slipped a key on a lanyard around my neck. "Meet me there. Make yourself at home if you arrive before me.. the slaves will serve you if you need anything."
"I'll be there." My fingers clasped around the key, assuring myself it was as solid as the man standing before me. "I'll be waiting for you."
Then he whispered something to me. A phrase I never thought to hear from anyone, let alone him. "I love you."
Before I could respond, he was gone.
No comments:
Post a Comment