I had been in my room for days, trying to keep out of the path of Zarah. Why she doesn’t like me is a mystery, one I’m sure will never be solved. I left Charm with the nanny, deciding it was time I paid Gabriel a visit. He wasn’t hard to find, fresh from the operating room. I could tell by the blood.
He didn’t even bother to look at me when I entered. I wasn't getting a warm reception anywhere in his house.
"Have you heard from Kain? Or anything about him?"
"No Astraea." His demeanor was cold, so much like Kain. "You will be the first to know the moment I do."
"I was thinking that maybe Charm and I would attend the upcoming Sardar Faire. Just to get us out of Ar for awhile. We'd be safe there." No answer, he was ignoring me. "I don't know what else to do, and I can't stay here forever."
"You're staying here Astraea.. Kain wouldn't be happy to know you're running.. again. But if you wish to go I can not stop you, though the child stays here."
How could he even think that I would leave my daughter? And then I realized he knew I wouldn’t leave her. She had become a game piece atop a chaotic board of kaissa.
"And why do you think my child would be safer in a city run by a mad man, then pasangs away, where we wouldn't be found?"
"Are you under the impression that this is up for debate? My brother asked me to watch over you and his child. You are not going any where.. I don't have to rationalize what I say to you. Legally you are my ward, and I will slap a collar on your throat until your companion returns.. if you cross me."
So I tried another approach. "Then why don't we all go to the faire? I'm sure your son's would enjoy it, as well as your companion. We would all be safe and I wouldn't be out of your sight. Please. I.. need to go. I need to get out of Ar for a few hands."
"You're pushing your luck. I've already told you, you can do what you want.. the child goes no where."
"But you know I won't leave her. So does Kain. She's my daughter and she needs me." I took a deep breath. I was not so stupid as to see that round one had been lost. "Fine. Thank you for your time."
I returned to my room, to find my daughter gone, which set no amount of small panic surging through me. So again I returned to Gabe. "Can you tell me where my daughter was taken? She's not in her room."
"Zarah probably took her out with boys for a treat."
"So your companion has permission to leave this House with my child, but I do not?" I was visibly upset and my fingers were curling inward towards my palms in response.
"Yes, she does. My companion is the Mistress of this house and will do as she pleases. You are my brother's companion who I was charged with making sure not die. And If I were you, I'd uncurl my fist as that is in fact a threat and I won't hesitate from spanking your ass until I break every bone in my hand."
"How is my daughter any safer with your woman, then with me? She doesn't even want me here. I've seen the way she glares at me. How do I know she won't hand my daughter over to the first person that asks?" My fingers did loosen, though not completely. "This isn't what Kain would have wanted and you know it."
"Do I seem like I care about what she thinks of you.. or what you think of her.. or even more importantly what you think of this situation."
I took a deep breath and then turned around, stepping out into the fresh air and sunshine. None of this was turning out as I thought it should.
I am trapped.
No comments:
Post a Comment