I ventured out today, trying to relieve some of the boredom that even books can no longer contain. I met a man near the falls, or rather he met me, calling me to him. He took interest in my collar, as unusual as it is, but I think he was even more interested in the fact that I wore a belt, a rarity to be sure.He wore the color of a peasant, but his speech and manner did not hold such, for he was well spoken and eloquent in his words. He asked me about my Master, how long I had been his, and about my previous Master as well. I think he was confused as to why I was still a virgin, after so long in the ownership of others. He must have thought there was something wrong with me. I too, was beginning to question that, but for very different reasons.
It’s always a trial to be the one left behind or the girl that wants so desperately to belong. I know I’m odd and do not fit in easily. I’ve even had some slaves look at me in mute horror, after my reading of the cards. They are frightened of me. Perhaps they are frightened of what I might tell them, if they dare to ask. There are those afraid of what the future holds. I can’t say that I blame them.
He sat quietly, watching me for some time. He knew I was studying him as well, though not so openly. He pointed to the cards at my side and when I explained what they were, he demanded a reading.
The Impaled man, an Ubar and the Assassin, a great change would befall him, but this he already knew. The man was not what he seemed. Someone else entirely lurked beneath the robes of brown, mystery, an enigma. The cards do not lie. I sometimes wish they did.
No comments:
Post a Comment