Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Interspersed Realities

I slept soundly, a warm dreamless slumber brought on by the man that held me through the night. I hadn’t realized how much I missed him until he was home again and I was allowed to wrap myself around him like a warm cocoon.

I have lived in his house and shared his couch for over a month now, and still I know so little about him. He is not open with his past and he shares no secrets. I think I am the only one not to know things, for the other slave often taunt me with hints, but tell me nothing.

I often find myself on edge when dusk comes, the house having no energy bulbs to light it, only candles and oil lamps to reflect the path when daylight is denied. It is eerie and unnerving and I jump at the slightest sound even though I have not been given a reason to be afraid. When darkness falls I retire to his room, light all the candles and tharlarion lamps I can find, and I have even been known to start a fire despite the heat of the night, for the sole reason it brings cheer to an otherwise dreary space.

In my explorations of the house, I have found that there is one door locked to me. When I asked Jaspin about it, he told me the door led to a lower level and that it was locked because the stairs were old and in need of repair. It was locked for reasons of safety. So why did I see Carry using the door? And Glee on another night? So many questions, so few answers. I’m beginning to think nothing is as it seems.

No comments: