Kain returned to us at last, his business with Phelps at an end for the time being. Even though he seemed anxious to see us, I could tell he was not completely happy at the fact we had left his home. Charm was cranky, teething again, and I was at my wits end as what to do. He took over and calmed her down, giving her something to ease the pain. Who need a physician when one had Kain around.
He laid back on my couch, kicking off his shoes, but his rest was short lived. He found my couch to be anything but comfortable. An excuse to take me home, I was sure. I explained the situation and he promised to rectify it. I could only assume by this he planned on firing the cook. Even though I did not like all the pomp and circumstance, quite enjoying the tranquil essence my home had to offer, I agreed to return, though not right away.
"I do not explain myself to you. I will not ever explain myself to you.. especially not about a gift. Again this is not optional Astraea. Your choice.. you can do as I tell you. And enjoy what I offer. Or I can take you and Charm from this place and burn it to the ground. I will have my nanny care for the child and you.. I will make that little leather strap on your right arm.. very interesting for you."
I told him he had missed her birthday, but that we had celebrated in his absence. He seemed genuinely upset by this. He had thought it was today. I should have told him sooner. "We can celebrate today. Not many children get two birthdays in the same var. She's a lucky child. We're both glad you made the effort though, to return for her special day."
His reaction was immediate, fingers coiling around my throat, though they weren’t hard enough to choke. Not this time, though his anger was ripping through his outer calm. "I hate you for taking her away from me. And I swear to you if it ever happens again I will hunt ...you.. down.. "Please...don't make me do that." His hand dropped away and I stepped back, trying to regain my own composure. "I will be back. I am going to move Aneya out of the house, punish the slave and put his papers in your name. But I swear to you Astraea if you can not handle him.. I will be very upset."
I would forever be apologizing for my past mistakes. He would never trust me again, for love and trust do not go hand in hand. He loves his daughter, this I can clearly see, even if the love I have for him is muddied by temperance and attitude.
His hand entwined in my own, and I noticed the same leather thong that he had tied around my wrist, was tied around his own. Somewhere in that single action lay a commitment.
"Why do you wear it? Does it mean you belong to me?"
"It's a declaration of intent."
"What kind of intent?"
"Companionship."
I stopped asking questions at that point; sure he was amusing himself with more teasing games at my expense.
And so we three returned to a House filled with servants and slaves. He bid me to go upstairs upon our arrival, while he took care of other things, one of which I hoped would be the dismissal of the cook.
I had just gotten Charm fed and put down again, knowing Kain would expect me to be in his chambers when he returned. I did not, however, expect to see Leo being brought in and shackled to the floor in front of the couch.
"Do you know why I gave him to you Astraea?" His voice echoed from the edge of the bed. I hadn’t even heard him come in. "I wanted to show you why I like having dominion over you. Teach you what it's like." His hands whispered over my body, as his words were set to the shell of my ear.
Another covert game. One he plays so well. Insatiable man that he is.
There are times I despise his power over me, but in the same breath, I long for it, live for it. But could I display these same powers over another? I was dubious. He was insistent.
And I was soon to find myself shackled nose to nose with Leo, simply because my answers didn’t suit the questions Kain had asked.
Leo told me how to position myself so that I wouldn’t cramp and told me what to listen for in light of Kain’s return. I had asked him if he had been punished. He replied with a question, much like I do. "This is not punishment enough If you mean did he lash me.. no he didn't."
I hadn't really thought of this as being punishment.. until now. In my mind, it was just Castor being Castor. But I was glad he hadn’t been lashed.
"Does not being embarrassed.. does not being displayed hurt you?"
It did, of course, not that I would admit it to
“You have to understand him." Even now, after what he had done, I was making excuses for him. Love is truly blind.
I’m not sure how long I was shackled there, the two of us talking. But soon a slave girl returned to release us, limping. I felt pity for the girl, slave or not. She was suffering because I had sinned. Life can be so unfair.
He had taken Charm for an outing. I could only hope he’d sit fit to return her to me. I always feel as if he’s waiting for just the right moment to take her away from me for good, at a time when it will hurt me the most.
Why do I believe so furiously that it will be soon..
No comments:
Post a Comment