The face was familiar, but I had not, until I saw the dagger displayed on his forehead, realized what he was. He was still polite, as he had been upon past chance meetings, offering to buy me supper, if I could direct him to an inn. My own establishment in the city has not yet been developed, but we did find an inn, one crowded upon first entrance and then quickly clearing out so that we were the only two remaining, save slaves.Many times the cards do not make sense to me, for I am not wise to the background of those I read for. But the card of his future made perfect sense, The Physician, a card of balance, a path between opposites, but as it was reversed, the cards whispered of imbalance, and being why he was in Port Cos, marked, I was afraid of what the future held for him. There would be recklessness, confusion and weakening, which can be a fatal flaw in an assassin. But he did not seem unnerved.
I have found the library and for the last three days I have studied what it has to offer. Only one book has made note of the amulet, but the passage is vague, the reference obscure. So far as I understand it, the amulet is a vessel that holds the consciousness. How it works, or even if it still exists I have not been able to ascertain. But I still have a few more volumes to look through.
If I were a praying woman, I should start now.
1 comment:
http://cadeyrnblackjourney.blogspot.com/2009/08/victim-of-fate.html
Post a Comment