“You shall bear the child that will break the curse. Already this son takes root in your womb. He is the gift that we have awaited for a thousand years, a male heir that will change the course of bloodlines. No longer will your daughter be plagued with the future of slavery, but such gifts will come at great cost. Once the babe has been safely delivered from your body, a life will be in forfeit, a life freely offered in trade. Your life, my daughter…”
I awoke in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, despite the humid breeze coming in from the open window. In spite of the furs pulled up over my body I could not seem to get warm and I could not shake the feeling of trepidation.
Something isn’t right. Something is.. missing.
But I don’t know what that ‘something’ is.
Memories come in bits and pieces, fragile disjointed sentences that I have to strain to hear. Chaotic whispers that continue to confuse me, as if.. something else seeks my council. Tomorrow is my last day at the library, Lucian having gained me access to the non public books. I want to promise myself that if I find nothing, I will return to Ar, to my family, and make due with what time I have left.
But I know that is a promise that I cannot make.
I have one more thing to do before giving up.
I need to go home.
No comments:
Post a Comment