The future. It’s a word that I am familiar with, one I claim to know despite its ramifications. Seeing ahead though, is never the same as looking back.There is always a certain amount of guilt associated with letting things slip by me. Maybe had I stayed and read for him after he agreed, things would have been different. Is it egotistical to think that maybe I could have had the power to changed it? I could have helped him, something he had asked me for, and I let him down.
The shop is gone, nothing left but charred timber and ash, with no sign of Chance whatsoever. Perhaps he, like the buildings that flanked its sides, was untouched by the kiss of flame, of this I’m sure, certain I would know if he was hurt. Or maybe I know this because the swing was untouched as well, that in itself is a symbol of hope.
Sometimes we just have to unlock life’s mysteries to harrowing questions on our own.
I of all people understand this.
I will miss him.
No comments:
Post a Comment